SPECIAL EDUCATION HEARING OFFICER
DUE PROCESS HEARING
Name of Child: J.G.
ODR #7420/06-07 LS
Date of Birth: [redacted]
Date of Hearing: April 25, 2007, May 17, 2007 July 17, 18, 19, 2007
Parties to the Hearing:
Wyoming Valley West School District 450 North Maple Avenue
Kingston, PA 18704
Michael Connolly, Esquire Sweet, Stevens, Katz & Williams 331 Butler Avenue
P.O. Box 5069
New Britain, Pennsylvania 18901
Drew Christian, Esquire
801 Monroe Avenue Scranton, Pennsylvania 18510
Date Transcript Received: July 25, 2007
Date of Decision: August 4, 2007
Hearing Officer: Marcie Romberger, Esquire
Student [redacted] has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Student began the 2006-2007 school year in Fifth Grade in the Wyoming Valley West School District without an IEP or GIEP. After a tumultuous year where Student was in and out of different placements including instruction in the home, Student’s parents placed Student at [redacted], a residential treatment facility in [redacted state]. Student filed for a due process hearing to seek compensatory education, reimbursement for [the residential placement], and reimbursement for independent educational evaluations.
1. Was Student denied a free appropriate public education from June 16, 2006 to the present?
2. If so, is Student entitled to compensatory education?
3. Is Student entitled to tuition reimbursement for placement at [the residential placement] including travel expenses?
4. Is Student entitled to costs associated with the independent evaluations by Ms. B, Dr. R, and Johns Hopkins Hospital?
5. Should the District fund an independent IEP facilitator to assist the parties in developing an IEP for Student?J-G-Wyoming-Valley-West-ODRNo-7420-06-07-LS