This is a redacted version of the original decision. Select details have been removed from the decision to preserve
anonymity of the student. The redactions do not affect the substance of the document.
SPECIAL EDUCATION HEARING OFFICER
DUE PROCESS HEARING
Name of Child: AS
ODR # 8234/07-Date of Birth: xx/xx/xx
Dates of Hearing: February 13, 2008, February 20, 2008
April 28, 2008, May 7, 2008, May 8, 2008
Parties to the Hearing:
School District of Philadelphia Third Floor
440 North Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19130
Mr. and Mrs.
Ken Cooper, Esquire
Nancy Ryan, Esquire 238 West Miner Street West Chester, PA 19382
Date Transcript Received: June 2, 2008
Date of Decision: June 21, 2008
Hearing Officer: Marcie Romberger, Esquire
1The record was held open until May 30, 2008 for the filing of closing statements. I received the District’s
closing on May 31, 2008 via U.S. Mail.
2I did not receive a hard copy of any transcript but one until June 2, 2008.
Student finished 8th grade in the School District at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. Student has been identified as a child with a disability under the IDEA category of Autism. Parents do not believe Student has received an appropriate education in the District since Student began in the District in the beginning of the 2005-2006 school year.
Did the District provide Student with appropriate IEPs from the 2005-2006 school year to the present or were they flawed as a result of a
- failure to develop measurable goals to address all of Student’s needs;
- failure to provide Student with ESY;
- failure to provide IEP progress reports;
- failure to conduct a comprehensive speech language evaluation;
- failure to provide appropriate speech language services;
- cessation of speech language services without justification;
- failure to timely assess Student’s occupational therapy needs;
- failure to provide appropriate specially designed instruction and related services;
- failure to provide an appropriate program to Student.Is Student entitled to compensatory education from the 2005-2006 school year?