SPECIAL EDUCATION HEARING OFFICER
DUE PROCESS HEARING
Name of Child: JS
ODR #9288/08-09 AS
Date of Birth: Xx/xx/xx
Dates of Hearing: October 28, 2008 December 9, 2008 December 12, 2008 January 20, 2009 February 6, 2009 February 13, 2009
Parties to the Hearing: Ms.
Pennridge School District 1200 N. Fifth Street Perkasie, PA 18944
Mark Voigt, Esquire
Plymouth Mtg. Executive Campus 600 W. Germantown Pike Suite 400 Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Grace Deon, Esquire Eastburn and Gray
600 E. Court St. Box 1389 Doylestown, PA 18901
Date Record Closed: March 26, 2009
Date of Decision: April 8, 2009
Hearing Officer: Linda M. Valentini, Psy.D.
Student is a 20-year-old eligible student enrolled in the Pennridge School District (hereinafter District). Ms., Student’s mother (hereinafter Parent) requested this hearing because she believes that the District denied Student a free, appropriate public education (FAPE) for the 2006-2007 and the 2007-2008 school years, that the District improperly denied Student Extended School Year (ESY) services for the summers of 2007 and 2008, and that in this current school year (2008-2009) the District has failed to offer Student an appropriate IEP that will prepare him for transition to college. The Parent seeks tuition for Landmark College, transportation to and from Landmark, and/or compensatory education services as well as reimbursement for an independent educational evaluation (IEE).
- Did the Pennridge School District deny Student FAPE for school years 2006- 2007 and/or 2007-2008?1
- If the Pennridge School District denied Student FAPE for the 2006-2007 and/or the 2007-2008 school years, is he entitled to compensatory education, in what form and in what amount?
- Is the IEP the Pennridge School District offered to Student for the 2008-2009 school year appropriate?
- If the IEP the Pennridge School District offered to Student for the 2008-2009 school year is not appropriate, is he entitled to payment/reimbursement of private school tuition for Landmark College?
- If tuition payment/reimbursement is awarded, must the Pennridge School District fund Student ’s transportation costs to and from Landmark College?
- Did the Pennridge School District improperly deny and/or offer inappropriate Extended School Year (ESY) services to Student for the summers of 2007 and/or 2008 if in fact he was eligible for them?
- Must the Pennridge School District reimburse Ms. for the Independent Education Evaluation conducted by Dr. K?